While I work on getting back into the Character Archetype Series (S to Z to go), I wanted to share a good blog series recently published as a writing resource.
Lucy Flint spent June publishing an Idea Camp series of posts. She shares many tools and techniques for generating writing ideas from within ourselves, and externally. The 9 post series is found in this order –
- We’re Going to Be Invincible Writers! (Welcome to Idea Camp.)
- You’ve Already Done Your Hardest Research (So Let’s Turn It Into Idea Gold!)
- The Fun Way to Build an Army of Brilliant Little Ideas (Ready to Conquer Your Future Story Snags!)
- Don’t Skip This Essential Step Before Finding A Swoon-Worthy Idea
- You Are Completely Surrounded By Potential Ideas: Here’s One More Way To Capture Them!
- Your All-Purpose, Idea-Discovering, Secret Weapon! (My hands-down, favorite, most-used technique.)
- Four Quick Fixes for the Next Time You’re Looking for a Fresh Idea
- The One Cure for Your Biggest Idea Droughts
- Continue Your Idea-Making Awesomeness with These Six Amazing Guides!
I would add a tenth resource to writing ideas, and that’s one of forming a writing life habit of studying – and applying – writing and creativity craft. For instance, I took all of these posts above as web clips and hold copious crafting and creativity articles like these in my Evernote databases. As I research and learn things like structure, characterisation etc, and even in reading Lucy’s posts, new ideas generate for me also. I also applied what Lucy wrote to form several new idea files and resources for myself.